The following is a list of research projects I’m or I have been involved in.
- VADA – VADA: Value Added Data Systems – Principles and Architecture The VADA research programme will define principles and solutions for Value Added Data Systems, which support users in discovering, extracting, integrating, accessing and interpreting the data of relevance to their questions. In so doing, it uses the context of the user, e.g., requirements in terms of the trade-off between completeness and correctness, and the data context, e.g., its availability, cost, provenance and quality. The user context characterises not only what data is relevant, but also the properties it must exhibit to be fit for purpose. Adding value to data then involves the best efort provision of data to users, along with comprehensive information on the quality and origin of the data provided. Users can provide feedback on the results obtained, enabling changes to all data management tasks, and thus a continuous improvement in the user experience.
- DIADEM – Domain-centric, Intelligent Automated Data Extraction Methodology: DIADEM aims at defining algorithms for the fully-automated extraction of data from a website using domain knowledge to drive the extraction process.
- SMSCom – Self-Managing Situated Computing: SMScom is a software engineering research project. As for any genuine engineering research, it aims at providing a sound and systematic approach to developing practical and useful products. As any far-looking engineering research, it is expected to provide radical innovations. Radical innovations come in two flavors: by pushing some emerging requirements to their extreme and by revisiting through them, in a radical manner, the way we today develop and operate software.
- ADAM – Database Integration, Evolution and Archiving: a unified approach: ADAM is a Joint ICT Research Project within the Executive Programme of Cooperation in the field of science and technology between Italy and the United States of America for the years 2008-2010.
- ESTEEM – Emergent Semantics and cooperaTion in multi-knowledgE EnvironMents: The main goal of the ESTEEM project is the design and the implementation of a platform for emergent semantics in multi-knowledge environments, where semantic communities can interoperate according to the P2P paradigm. The ESTEEM platform will provide a comprehensive framework for data and service integration in P2P systems, and advanced solutions for consensus-driven construction of semantic communities, trust and quality management, P2P physical infrastructure design, query processing, and dynamic service discovery, composition and matching. Furthermore, since parties of a semantic communities may be dislocated in different contexts and may need to access data through heterogeneous devices, the ESTEEM platform will provide features for mobile and ubiquitous information access and storage, and multichannel delivery. Techniques and solutions provided by the ESTEEM platform will be deployed as Web services on the reference P2P middleware architecture and demonstrated in the application scenario of scientific collaboration in medicine.
- Art-Deco – Adaptive InfRasTructures for DECentralized Organizations: The research aims at developing techniques and methods for the diffusion of “networked enterprises” among the Italian Small and Medium Enterprises, testing the proposed approach in association with companies working in two test fields (food and textile/fashion) during all the phases of the project, from the initial definition of requirements to the development of prototypes/ demonstrators, through a flexible and iterative process, where the technological development advances together with knowledge acquisition and with the refinement of network mechanisms.
- SAFE – Sistema per l’Anamnesi in Fase di Emergenza: The research aims at developing technologies to support healthcare professionals during emergency situations.
- PervADS – PervADS enables pervasive and personalized advertisements, which leverages on users’ interests and contextual information, to send personalized, active, electronic advertisements (PervADS) to potential customers. These PervADS are tailored on users’ profiles and sent to the customer when he/she is near a business which may be of interest in his/her specific situation (context-awareness).